NEBOSH General Certificate
Share this course with friends and followers on social media.
What's Included in the NEBOSH General Certificate Online Course?
E-learning / Online
Why Take Your NEBOSH National General Certificate Online?
Our flexible online course has everything you need to learn the fundamentals of health and safety management and pass your NEBOSH National General Certificate.
NEBOSH Gold Partner
As a NEBOSH Gold Partner our NEBOSH National General Certificate online course is an interactive, remote-learning version of the course. It offers the same qualification as a traditional classroom course.
Develop your risk management skills as you work through engaging course materials on our award-winning LMS. Then test your understanding with activities, learning checks and past exam questions.
- 1 year access to course materials
- Tutor support
- 4 revision webinars
- 1 mini mock exam marked with feedback
- A personalised study timetable with TrackSmartTM
- Access to our NEBOSH Certificate Link
There are two assessments for the NEBOSH General Certificate:
- NG1: An online open-book exam
- NG2: A practical risk assessment carried out in the workplace
You need to pass both assessments to achieve your NEBOSH General Certificate. Further information about open book exams as well as frequently asked questions, is available in the Learner Guide.
NEBOSH Exam Fees
Please note that NEBOSH exam fees are not included within the cost. Exam fees are an additional £200.00 + VAT and are paid directly to the training provider when you are ready to sit the examinations.
Master key topics with ExamSmart™. Our unique 3-pillar framework helps you learn, communicate and apply health and safety concepts.
When you’re at work after you qualify, you’ll know what to do thanks to our course bringing concepts to life and applying theory to real world scenarios.
Stay Focused and Complete Your Course
Stay on track with your studies with TrackSmartTM . Simply input your chosen exam date or study hours and get a personalised study timetable to help you meet your goal.
Work through interactive materials packed full of activities, podcasts and videos that keep you engaged. And access our built-in glossary and resources hub for instant access to information along the way.
Increase Your Chance of Passing the Exams
Build your confidence with learning checks, past exam questions, and mini-mock exams all marked with feedback.
Our tutor-led revision webinars will teach you how to tackle your open-book exam and practical assignment the NEBOSH way, so you know just what to expect on your big day.
Join our NEBOSH National General Certificate community
You're not alone. Your CMIOSH tutor, Andrew Froude (also a NEBOSH examiner), is on hand answer any of your questions and give you feedback throughout your learning experience.
Join other learners in our exclusive LinkedIn NEBOSH National General Certificate support group. Take part in discussions and get advice and support from our NEBOSH alumni.
How long does it take to complete the NEBOSH National General Certificate?
- The course takes approximately 113 hours to complete. The classroom course runs over 2 split weeks.
How long does the NEBOSH National General Certificate last?
- There's no expiration date on your NEBOSH National General Certificate. Once you've passed it, that's it! Saying that, if you want to progress onto other qualifications, like the NEBOSH Diploma or specialist NEBOSH Certificates, you'll need to do so within 5 years of passing your certificate
What level is a NEBOSH General Certificate?
- The NEBOSH General Certificate is an ideal starting point for people looking to begin a career in health and safety management or to formalise previous training. It is a Level 3 qualification, equivalent to A Level.
Who can take the NEBOSH National General Certificate and does it expire?
- Taking on a new course can be a daunting prospect and one that takes a lot of thinking about. The amount of time and money invested in getting the best result possible is significant so it is crucial you understand what to expect. As a result of this there are a number of commonly asked questions which we have aimed to answer as best as possible on this page and below:
Who is the NEBOSH National General Certificate for?
- The NEBOSH General Certificate is aimed at people who are just starting their role or career in health and safety. There are two versions - national and international.
Can anyone take the certificate?
- As the NEBOSH National General Certificate is a foundation level qualification there is no prior knowledge required in order to take it. So, yes anyone is able to take this course!
Does a NEBOSH certificate expire?
- Once you have completed the 2 units there is no need to retake any of them again. However you will need to complete both units within 5 years to pass successfully.
Are there courses similar to the NEBOSH National General Certificate?
There are three main players when it comes to foundation level health and safety qualifications including:
- NEBOSH National General Certificate
- NVQ Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- NCFE IOSH Level 3 Certificate in Safety and Health for Business
While these courses qualify someone to the same level, they differ greatly when it comes to learning method:
- NEBOSH National General Certificate: The certificate provides an understanding of HSE regulations, hazards and risk assessments, acting as a foundation for a career in health and safety.
- NVQ Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety: This qualification is a worked-related competency based qualification and concentrates more on assessing current skills instead of teaching new knowledge. This course is aimed more towards those who are already in a health and safety role.
- NCFE IOSH Level 3 Certificate in Safety and Health for Business: This course focuses on providing a business and technical focus towards health and safety, allowing for a more strategic approach. Again, this course is aimed towards those already in a health and safety role and is a portfolio based qualification.
What's the difference between the International and National NEBOSH General Certificates?
- The NEBOSH National General Certificate and NEBOSH International General Certificate are both versions of the General Certificate. The National General Certificate course is available in the UK only and the International General Certificate is available to all countries outside of the UK.
- They’re the same level, have the same units, elements and learning outcomes and they both follow the same exam structure and grading system.
- The course content isn’t that much different either. They both teach you how to manage health and safety based on the “Plan-Do-Check-Act” management system. But they reference different legislation and regulation in the finer details.
Should I go straight for the NEBOSH National Diploma, or start with the National General Certificate?
- The NEBOSH NGC course is an ideal place to start as it gives a broad grounding in the field of health and safety. The NEBOSH National Diploma course will build on knowledge gained at this level. Whilst it is not necessary to have a pre-qualification to take the NEBOSH National Diploma, we would highly recommend it.
Is the NEBOSH General Certificate hard?
- As with any qualification, the biggest challenge you'll face will be time. The NEBOSH General Certificate requires a total of 80-120 hours of study and it's equivalent to studying an A Level qualification. This may seem like hard work now, but it'll all be worth it when you receive that certificate through the post.
For short courses a completion certificate is available at the end of the course. You can screenshot this or print it out to confirm completion of the training.
For accredited courses a certificate will be sent directly to you from the appropriate awarding body.
All you need to complete our e-learning courses is a computer, tablet or smartphone and an internet connection.
To ensure that you get the best learning experience possible there are several things that you need to make sure of before you start.
You can access your course in any web browser but you need to make sure you have a recent version.
Pop ups are enabled differently in different web browsers. The easiest way to find out how to enable pop ups in your web browser, is by searching Google.
We recommend you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer so that you can save PDFs to view when you are not on the internet. You can download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website get.adobe.com/uk/reader
You might also find the Getting the most out of PDFs video on our YouTube channel useful.
All of our courses have some audio, so you might want to check you have speakers / headphones set up.
Please note: where audio is provided there will also be a text version of the information so you won’t miss any content by not having audio.
All of our online learning courses have been developed to give the best learning experience on a desktop or laptop computer, but some of them can now be accessed on tablets, like the iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab. There are a wide range of tablets on the market and although the courses should work on all of them, to get the best mobile experience we recommend a few things:
- A minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 600, with a recommended screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher.
- Generally the standard web browser is the best one to use, so on an iPad, for example, use Safari. You may also need to change a setting in the browser to allow cookies from 3rd parties (you definitely will with Safari).
- The courses are accessed most easily when connected to Wi-Fi rather than mobile data networks. If you do access via a mobile data network please note that you may be charged by your service provider, depending on your contract.
The courses are best viewed in landscape but on occasion you might need to turn to portrait, to close a pop-up for example.
Our e-learning courses offer a modern and flexible way to learn, and you choose when and where you study.
It's a very interactive experience with online tutor support and lots of resources to prepare you for success.
The Online Learning Campus is one of the most innovative and easy to use learning platforms in the world. We developed each part ourselves with the functionality that you need.
With our immediate enrolment you can start studying as soon as possible and benefit from the support and guidance of professional resources throughout your course.
As part of the NEBOSH National General Certificate and NEBOSH International General Certificate online courses, master key topics with Astutis ExamSmart™. Get access to Astutis TrackSmart™ for your learning plan that's personalised to your chosen exam date or study availability.
You will instantly receive a confirmation email with your order details and your course login details will follow within one business working day.
Click the 'Buy' or 'Add to cart' button and you will be taken to our payment/booking page where you can choose to pay online now using a debit/credit card or you can pay later by invoice.
Once you have paid for your course(s), you will receive an email from our team advising how to begin your training.
You will be provided with a username and password which will enable you to access the e-learning portal. Login to start your course, once you have completed and passed the course, you will be able to download and print your certificate straight away.
We are Astutis. Industry leaders in workplace health, safety, and environmental training, offering world-class services to individuals and organisations across the globe.
We provide international NEBOSH, IOSH and IEMA approved courses enabling companies to assess and manage risks, protect employees, and preserve the environment.
Envico is working in partnership with Astutis offering NEBOSH training and is not accredited by or associated with NEBOSH, IOSH or any other examination bodies, awarding bodies, institutions or organisations in any way whatsoever.